Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ian's Pony

Yesterday was one of the most memorable days since we brought Ian home! His therapists let him bring a gait trainer home (this particular model happens to be called a Pony.) He couldn't wait to get in it as soon as we got home, but his mean mother made him eat lunch first (it was 2:00!) I wish I had words to accurately describe what it was like to see the world through his eyes. He was so, so excited to be upright and moving around "on his own." He wanted to go in every room (even the laundry room was exciting) and turn on (and off) every light switch. He walked to the windows in every room and touched them and was "talking" the entire time. He discovered drawers and closets that he could actually reach and open. He ran his hand over the kitchen counter. I have never experienced such wonder like he expressed and it was very humbling to realize how much we take for granted. I tried to capture it on video, but it just wasn't possible. At least you can see what this device looks like and how he makes it move.


By the time I finally convinced him to take a break, he was sweating profusely. It takes so much energy for him to do something that we think nothing about.

Ian is already very opinionated about what he wears. It might get even worse now that he can see and get out his own clothes!

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love reading your blog Angela! I check it every day for updates! I'm not surprised that he is crazy about his wardrobe, because at the orphanage they sorted clothes by size, not by owner. So you shared clothes with whoever was the same size as you. If you had a favorite shirt, the next day maybe your "brother" wore it instead of you. And I'm sure this was especially frustrating for Ian since he had no say or pick in what he wore. So now he is wealthy with his OWN clothes that are ALL his! I agree, he humbles me often about all the things we take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! That is awesome! He's got a whole new world now with all the things he can see and reach :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for updating and keeping us posted on your lives. What a fun thing to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I giant smile streams my face! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness.... it is fantastic that Ian now is mobile! He looks and sounds like he is having the time of his life! Thanks for sharing these new developments and reminding us of the joys and importance of how much we do take for granted and how much we shouldn't!!!!
    Isn't it great what modern technology can do? Hooray for gait trainers... Ponies... and shower chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! What a whole new world Ian now has---and challenge you will have to keep up with him!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete