Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Surgery

Ian, Tom and I would all appreciate your prayers tomorrow and for the next few days. Ian is having surgery at Riley Children's Hospital at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. Part of the surgery is, as Tom puts it, on his "little boy plumbing" and won't be very pleasant for him. The other part is to put a feeding tube in place. This is happening very reluctantly on our part but something we've become convinced is necessary. On Dec. 28, Ian had a video feeding study which showed that he is aspirating. Although we both saw it for ourselves, we had to ask (and I'm still asking) how in the world he has managed to stay so healthy for 10 years if he has been aspirating food and/or liquid into his lungs every time he eats. No one has been able to answer that for me. However, after talking to at least 4 doctors, therapists, other parents, and after lots of prayer and tears, we have come to the conclusion that this is the best course of action. There is research out there that shows that it is possible for safe eating to be aquired through oral motor therapy, so my prayer is that this will be a temporary "fix" and might be able to be removed later in his life. For now, it will allow him to get enough fluids to stay fully hydrated which should help in every facet of his life, which is a 2nd reason for the tube. This one I can't argue because I am doing well if I can get him to "drink" 16 oz. of thickened liquid in a 24 hour period. So, while this might be more information than you need or want, we do appreciate your prayers for him (and for us) tomorrow. And, while I am still asking doctors how he has been so healthy for 10 years if he is aspirating, I actually do know the answer: the mighty, powerful, awesome God who created this special boy for a purpose has been protecting his little body.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for Ian and His Mom and Dad!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all went well today. The boys and I will pray for a quick recovery. Let us know when you're ready for some little visitors :)

    ReplyDelete